The East Ohio Conference is now able to run basic, affordable safe To request a background check on behalf of your congregation (or district), please send two (2) emails as described below.sanctuary background checks for volunteers and staff in your church.
- Email to Gary Jones – firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line should read: “Background Check Order for <name of person applying>”
In the body of email include the following with clarifications as suggested:
“Please issue a background check on behalf of <church name> for <name of person applying> who is applying for a position as <xxxx>. This is a volunteer/potential employee. (Indicate which). An invoice for the cost of the background checks should be emailed to church name, treasurer, email. [give info]”
The following searches are requested: [indicate which one(s)]
- $ 12 Basic (use for staff or volunteer positions. Also used for VIM/ERT mission teams)
- National Criminal Database Search
- National Sex Offender Registry
- Search SSN Verification & Address History
- $ 12 Search AKA Also Known As. (Use for background with Maiden Name – one for each marriage) This is strongly recommended for persons married less than 5 years.
- $ 12 County Criminal Search (Fee for each county searched. Most counties charge additional fees. These fees will be billed separately to your local church) This is strongly suggested for persons living in the current county less than 5 years or persons with several moves in last 10 years. This is also strongly suggested for persons employed by the church.
- $ 12 MVR Driving History (for volunteers and staff who will be driving teams or transporting children) This will indicate DUI, vehicular homicide, insurance or frequent tickets
- Email the person applying for the position
You can include a personal introduction followed by the text below that you should copy/paste into your email.
The position you are applying for requires a Safe Sanctuary background check. This background check must be originated by us. A copy of a background check ordered by someone else does not fulfill our legal responsibility to exercise appropriate supervision. The online background check will come from “The East Ohio Conference” even though our church has requested it.
To begin the background check process, use the following link: https://www.ministryopportunities.org/EastOhioUMC
On this East Ohio Conference webpage you will click Local Church then Safe Sanctuaries then Proceed.
The authorization includes very broad agreement and “hold harmless” statements. Please review your Social Security Number and all other information carefully before submitting. Typing errors in social security number, phone numbers and other information will create “alarms” resulting in concern about the background information provided. This will require additional review and increase the cost of this application.
The cost of this is being paid for by <enter how you will fund this, your application fee, training fee, our church budget>.
If you have questions about this process, please contact Rev. Gary Jones, Director of Spiritual Formation, East Ohio Conference.
330-499-3972 ext. 120 or email@example.com